Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Oxford vs. Cambridge, a national event

This past week several of the student in my house traveled to London to take part in the greatest English rivalry-- Oxford vs. Cambridge. As both schools go back into the middle ages, there is more tradition between the schools than any rivalry in America. England also has the distinction of boasting only two state school, Oxford and Cambridge. There couldn't be any other rivalry even if they tried!

April second was the date of both the football (soccer) match and regatta (8-man crew). When I purchased my ticket to the football game, I was under the impression that this was the main event. I mean, Europe in general and England in particular are known for their love of football, right?

Having been to a football match in Europe (Romania) previously, I was expecting a raucous crowd, but went away disappointed. English fans don't get excited. There were a couple of spirited cheers for Oxford (and against Cambridge), but nothing to the level I expected. Michigan football and Hockey games are much more spirited, in my opinion.

The crowd of about 1,200 students, family, alumni, and miscellaneous supporters watched Cambridge beat the Oxford Blues 1-0 on a silly goal midway through the second half. While the players were excited and disappointed at their victory or defeat (depending on which side you were on), the fans accepted the outcome without a fuss. It was very anticlimactic.

Having seen the football match, I was expecting to walk outside and watch the boat race without much difficulty or fanfare. I thought the main event was over.

I was wrong.

Over 250,000 people smashed themselves onto the banks of the Thames to watch sixteen men toil their way over 4.25 mile course. I had to laugh as I watched because boat racing is the worst spectator sport that can be imagined! From my vantage point near the start of the river, I could observe the race for perhaps 1 of the 4.25 mile course. After leaving the sight, everyone picked up and left. We had no idea who was ahead or who would win! It wasn't until the bus driver announced the Oxford victory on the way home that we knew the outcome.

However, it was a very exciting, and a culturally enriching experience. I felt apart of the long history between the two universities. It was a day well spent.

If you are interested in more background on the Oxford Cambridge Regatta, or would like to watch the entire race via video, check out The Boat Race Website.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey John Richard! Kathy Jefferies here writing from Kinmen, Taiwan on April 12. there's a Starbucks wanna be called e coffee here. But in Taipei there is a Starbucks! I love reading your blog!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home