Thursday, February 02, 2006

Roadside English Culture

Whenever I visit a different country (and I am up to a total of eight, if you include Canada), I am always amazed at the cultural differences that become quickly apparent. Even more interestingly, it's not the big things that make the impression, it's the small, almost un-noticable things; things that are so common the local inhabitants don't even realize how absolutely hilarious they are! Of course it works both ways, I'm sure America has its share of idiosyncrasies.

As I have observed British culture over the past (almost) four weeks, I have been struck by the absurdity of some of their "road signs." Nellie has laughed at me as I randomly laugh at ridiculous signs as we walk down the street. I have been so intrigued by these signs, that I have started a photo collection of some of my favorite ones. Every day I come across another. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of my current favorite, which I just discovered yesterday. It is a blue sign on a boarded up building which reads "Parents, please discuss the danger of this area with your children." What, may I ask, is that supposed to mean? I can imagine it now, a British father toting his young daughter (or son) along the street. He stops, turns and in a very serious voice says, "Sally, we need to have a talk, this building is very dangerous and you must be very careful every time you walk past it"

Come on Brits, are you for real???

Anyway, here is my tribute to "Roadside British Culture."


Shouldn't I be "watching" for the step?
What's my mind got to do with it?




Errr, this would never fly in America.


Is this like, no shoes, no shirt, no service?



The British don't believe in articles such as "of."



This is a very effective sign.
I don't want to go through this door!



Who is "Bill Stickers" and why do they want to prosecute him? Poor guy!



The British have a way of making the most disgusting honorable.
"Rubbish" actually means trash!



Don't park your bike here!



My goodness, what are they going to clamp? My nose?



Sounds a little shady to me!
You may walk in, but you wont walk out!



Yes, everywhere you go, they are watching.



I don't even know why they have to advertise.
Everyone has tea and coffee-- big deal!


4 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

John: I am with you, I see these signs, I take pictures of them, and I STILL laugh out loud when I read your blog. I love it!
These Brits....

Thursday, February 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, those are so funny!
God Bless Ya!!
Joe

Thursday, February 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word...that is too funny!!! I actually laughed out loud! I love it! Well I'm thinking about you guys and praying for you too! The library just isn't the same without you John. Have a good one! Blessings, Lauren O

Monday, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, i remember the humps sign:)
-Bethany

Thursday, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home